Sunday 10 March 2013

Week 3 and 4

Week 3
This week started with some minor adjustments to my PID, after which I continued my research.
My main focus was on the legislation around the CB radio, using it while driving etc. Turns out it's quite hard to find information concerning legislation on such a topic. I may have started out wrong, as I searched too openly for the information, which caused me to reach all kinds of information that didn't really end up being useful.
At some point a colleague gave me the tip to try and call the CBR, so I did just that. Turns out they didn't know about it, just like the 6 companies I contacted after that from tips from the previous one. In the end I decided to just search in the Dutch legislation for anything on the topic, and just found this bit:
Artikel 61a
Het is degene die een motorvoertuig, bromfiets, snorfiets of gehandicaptenvoertuig dat is uitgerust met een motor bestuurt verboden tijdens het rijden een mobiele telefoon vast te houden. (translated this means you can't use a mobile phone while driving any vehicle with a motor in it).
With this information, I contacted the police and asked them if the CB radio is illegal to use while driving, and gave them a reference to this article, also asking them what was meant by a mobile phone. I got the answer that because it is not described as a law, the CB radio is legal to use while driving, if you keep the road safe (so accidents caused while using it will cause trouble etc). No description of what was meant with a mobile phone though, for what would they say if you used, for instance, a tablet? I'm guessing that's seen as illegal, though in my definition, it's not a mobile phone. Oh well.

 Week 4
This week was a rather uneventful week, just did research without any real hiccups. Did get feedback on what research I had finished by then. That took me quite a bit of work. As well as elaborating on everything, because up until that point, I had mostly made lists of information I had found, and hadn't really incorporated it into any proper writing. 
Research mainly existed of CB radio alternatives, and the alternatives that are currently found in cars. One was particularly interesting, as FIAT had a portuguese page on a system that already used social media, pretty much in the same way I intend to use it. When I contacted FIAT NL however, they knew nothing about it, and as the page was an image instead of text, I didn't understand it at all. Searching on the name of the system lead to a few news items that all linked to the same page. I did find plenty of other systems that already have something similar built in.
I also reminded Jac van Orsouw (my direct client) that he would get a CB radio for me, and he said he'd look into it, as it had slipped his mind a bit lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment